Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedNEMLEC Foundation To Hold Raffle Drawing For Patriots TicketsIn “Community”NEMLEC Foundation Announces 2019 Golf Tournament For May 20In “Community”NEMLEC Foundation Announces Annual Appreciation Dinner & Comedy Night On November 30In “Community” DRACUT, MA — Below is a press release from the Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council (NEMLEC) Police Foundation, which encompasses Wilmington:The Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council (NEMLEC) Police Foundation, Inc. is pleased to announce that it raised $9,500 through its All Pro VIP Tailgate football ticket package drawing.The winner — William Finn (Ticket #011) — received two tickets for every New England Patriots regular season home game this coming season, along with free parking in a private lot and access to All-Pro VIP tailgate events for each game.The NEMLEC Foundation chose the winner during a drawing event on July 17 at Tavern in the Square in Burlington.Money raised through this event will go toward funding NEMLEC’s School Threat Assessment and Response System (STARS) training, comprehensive motorcycle training,elite NEMLEC SWAT training and annual basic and advanced crime scene classes, among others.“We would like to offer our sincere gratitude to everyone who bought a ticket to support the NEMLEC Police Foundation’s mission of providing quality opportunities to our member agencies,” Executive Director Sharon Crowley said. “The money raised from this drawing and all NEMLEC Foundation fundraisers goes directly to support our member agency units and ongoing training for police officers in Middlesex and Essex County.”So far this year, the NEMLEC Foundation has raised nearly $40,000 for police training, special operations and charitable causes such as Cops For Kids With Cancer.About the NEMLEC Police Foundation:The NEMLEC Police Foundation, Inc. exists to promote and pursue training, education, research, projects, and programs that benefit municipal police agencies and their communities in Northeastern Massachusetts. The foundation promotes the public’s understanding of their police departments. It receives gifts, contributions, and grants from individual benefactors or private organizations and distributes those gifts to benefit The North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council and its cities and towns.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.
A commuter walks past the finance ministry building at dusk in New Delhi. [Representational Image].Reuters fileUnion Minister P P Chaudhary on Thursday said that more than 4.5 lakh directors will likely face disqualification, for being associated with shell companies, in a bid to fight against black money.The minister however, assured that genuine companies will not face action, but said that non-compliant companies are also destroying the image of good corporates, Economic Times reported.As the government is now putting in more effort to crackdown on shell companies, the minister said that the profile of all disqualified directors will be thoroughly examined.”It shall also be important to examine their (disqualified directors) general profile and association with other companies and the levels of their corporate governance standards,” said P P Chaudhary.Last month, the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, in an attempt to improve corporate governance, has disqualified more than two lakh directors from holding posts in the companies that have defaulted loans and have failed to file their financial returns for last three years.That move pushed the total number to more than 3 lakh while cancelling the registration of another 10,000 companies. These directors will not be allowed to hold seats in other companies and might have to resign from their posts soon in the future.In September, the Registrar of Companies (ROC) had struck off the names of 2.1 lakh companies after about 2.97 lakh companies received notice for not filing returns and not completing other formalities related to compliance.The government had also frozen their bank accounts to check any siphoning off of funds.According to the reports, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) also registered a case against 19 companies which reportedly sent more than Rs 424 crore in foreign remittances via 700 transactions, in what is being suspected to be money-laundering through shell companies.In August, market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) asked stock exchanges to take action against 331 shell companies after the Ministry of Corporate Affairs named these shell firms on its list for their engagement in money laundering and tax evasion. SEBIReutersSEBI, last month updated its board on action being taken against suspected shell firms, vowing to take appropriate steps against those indulging in falsification of books. The regulator also told its board that steps were being taken to fasttrack all pending cases in a timebound manner, especially those where final orders have got delayed for more than a year since interim directions were passed.Such a heavy crackdown on various companies involved in loan defaulting and money laundering has intensified after the demonetisation drive, where Prime Minister Narendra Modi scrapped off Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes last year to wipe out black money from the system in order to counter corruption.
Nurul Islam NahidThe education ministry will request the Facebook authorities to halt operation of the social media during the Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and the equivalent examinations, in order to stop question paper leaks.Education minister Nurul Islam Nahid said this at a press conference at the secretariat on Tuesday. The exams are scheduled to begin on 1 February.”We will request those who run Facebook to keep its operation for a limited time,” he said in reply to a query if the Facebook would be restricted from the beginning until the end of the exams.The minister pointed out that it would not be necessary to keep the Facebook on the days, other than the dates of examinations.”Packets of question papers would be opened only on the day of exams, not on other dates. The operation of the Facebook may remain suspended for a certain period (in order to stop leaks of question papers,” he said.The minister mentioned that his ministry had already talked to the information communication and technology (ICT) ministry and Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) for taking necessary measure.Plagued by repeated leaks of question papers of public examinations, the education ministry has now been “desperate” and “aggressive” in preventing the leaks, Nahid said.Terming the coaching centres the ‘dens’ of question paper leaks, the minister said the centres will be kept closed until the exams are held.The examinees will also have to enter the centres at least half an hour before the exam, he iterated.The minister said government officials will be kept at the centres to monitor if the packets of question papers are opened half an hour before the beginning of the exams.
Prothom Alo IllustrationPolice recovered the body of a local Swechhasebok League leader from a canal at Muladuli in Ishwardi upazila on Wednesday two days after he had gone missing, reports UNB.The deceased is Asadul Islam Ershad, 34, general secretary of Ward No. 3 Swechhasebok League in Muladuli union and son of Habibur Rahman Mokkas Pramanik, president of Awami League Ward No. 3.Family sources said Ershad, who worked in a contractor farm, remained missing since he went out of the house to buy coal from a shop half kilometer off his house on Monday evening.Later, his brother Mohirul Islam filed a general diary with Ishwardi police station.Locals spotted the body in the canal adjacent to Muladuli Sugarcane Farm and informed police, said Ashraful Islam, sub-inspector of the police station.Later, police recovered the body.The body bore several injury marks, said the SI.
Gov. Greg Abbott announced a plan to stop gangs in Harris County, but did not notify local law enforcement about his plans.“You know, I have to confess I saw it on the news like everybody else,” Harris County Judge Ed Emmett said.Abbott made an appearance in Houston on Monday. He spoke about cracking down on violent crime in Harris County.But neither the judge nor, the Houston Police Department or sheriff’s office was alerted about this event.“Courtesy would have been to talk to me, but clearly if you’re going to be talking about some ramped up law enforcement efforts in Harris County and the City of Houston, that’s got to involve the Harris county sheriff and Houston Police Department,” Emmett said.The governor’s office reports that there are over 20,000 gang members in the Houston area.But Emmett argues the problem is not as alarming as the governor is making it out to be. “You know, frankly, I guess there has been an uptick in these types of crimes, but they haven’t caused in glaring headlines or anything, so I’m not sure where that came from,” Emmett said. We reached out to Abbott’s office for a response, but did not hear back before deadline. X Share Listen 00:00 /01:00 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:
Seven Baltimore Police Officers were arrested and indicted on various racketeering charges on March 1 in what is being called “a major conspiracy.”The announcement was made via a press conference from the U.S. Attorneys Office from downtown Baltimore.These undated photos provided by the Baltimore Police Department show, from left, Daniel Hersl, Evodio Hendrix, Jemell Rayam, Marcus Taylor, Maurice Ward, Momodu Gando and Wayne Jenkins, the seven police officers who are facing charges of robbery, extortion and overtime fraud, and are accused of stealing money and drugs from victims, some of whom had not committed crimes. (Baltimore Police Department via AP)This is the largest corruption investigation in years involving Baltimore City police officers. Commissioner Kevin Davis called it “disgusting” and a betrayal of trust. He called the men “1930s-style gangsters.”“These police officers will never, ever, ever again commit the heinous acts that they have been alleged to commit in our community,” Davis said.The officers were, one by one, seeing judges Wednesday afternoon and being temporarily detained before formal detention hearings set for March 2. Each officer faces 20 years behind bars if convicted.Charges for the officers include robbery (pulling people over at traffic stops and stealing money and property from them-for no reason), stealing overtime and ripping off the state of about $500,000.One officer went on a vacation to Myrtle Beach and charged overtime to the city almost the entire week, the charging documents stated. Another charged overtime while playing poker at the Maryland Live! Casino.Other charges include, submitting false official incident and arrest reports, reports of property seized from those arrested, and charging documents that hid the fact that they had stolen money, property, and drugs.One of the officers is also charged in a separate drug distribution indictment in an illegal drug operation and tipping its members off to investigations.U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein, who’s about to become the #2 at the Department of Justice, broke down the allegations at a mid morning press conference.“I think what’s particular significant about the allegations in this indictment, is that these defendants allegedly were involved in stopping and arresting, I should say stopping, they were involved in stopping, people who had not committed crimes, and seizing their money,” he said. “Not only seizing their money, but pocketing it. So these are really, simply, robberies by people who are wearing police uniforms.”Rosenstein said the Department had begun looking into officers about a year ago. Later FBI got involved installing electronic surveillance, including one in an officer’s patrol car.The alleged theft and fraud that the officers are accused of happened at the same time the Department of Justice was investigating the police department, finding several civil rights abuses and corruption.Fraternal Order of Police president Gene S Ryan said in a statement, “We are very disturbed over the charges filed against our members by the U.S. Attorney today. These officers are entitled to due process and a fair trial in accordance with the Constitution and the laws of our state.”The officers have been identified as:– Detective Momodu Bondeva Kenton Gondo, 34, of Owings Mills (also charged in drug-dealing conspiracy) (joined BPD November 2005)– Detective Evodio Calles Hendrix, 32, of Randallstown (joined BPD April 2009)– Detective Daniel Thomas Hersl, 47, of Joppa (joined BPD September 1999)– Sergeant Wayne Earl Jenkins, 36, of Middle River (joined BPD June 2016)– Detective Jemell Lamar Rayam, 36, of Owings Mills (joined BPD July 2005)– Detective Marcus Roosevelt Taylor, 30, of Glen Burnie (joined BPD May 2009)– Detective Maurice Kilpatrick Ward, 36, of Middle River (joined BPD October 2003)At least 5 high profile federal gun cases have been dropped because the officers tainted them in some way, and more may be coming.According to BCP Spokesman T.J. Smith, all officers have been suspended without pay.Each officer appeared in court in plain clothes and handcuffs as various family members were there for emotional support.Family members declined to speak to comment.
More information: thesoundoffootball.com/ (PhysOrg.com) — In a show of just how far Smartphone technology has come, a new group funded by the Pepsi Refresh Project, has put together various technologies that allow blind people to play football using nothing but sounds that come to them from headphones connected to an iPhone mounted on their helmet. The idea, developed by Akestam Holst and Society 46, is to use surround sound technology to allow someone who cannot see, to move around and interact in an unknown and constantly changing real world environment. To demonstrate their technology, they set up a match between a group of sighted, but blindfolded former pro footballers, and a group of blind players on a small portion of a real stadium. © 2011 PhysOrg.com Immersive Game System Allows Physical Interaction Between Players In the end, each side had its own advantages. The ex pros obviously had far superior ball skills, while the blind players had far more experience moving around the real world without benefit of sight. And it appears things worked out rather evenly, as the final score was 1-1. Explore further In short, the whole system allows each individual player to “hear” where everyone else is, where the ball is, where on the field they are, and where the goal posts are. Based on that information, each player can then move about as they would were they able to do so using vision. Granted, the system can’t possibly offer anywhere near the same sensory experience as those who can see, but it is enough to allow the teams to both play and compete. To create the sounds that guide the players, the team used 3D camera systems provided by Tracab mounted on the stadium walls. The cameras are connected to computers with tracking software that allows for the tracking of each player, the ball and the location of the goal posts. Each tracked entity is assigned a unique sound which is modified based on its relative location to each player then broadcast to the iPhone on the player’s helmet. Thus, when a player on the field approaches another, the sound that is generated not only gets louder, but is “projected” in three-dimensional space, which means, the player can tell where the other player is relative to them, just as people can tell where someone is relative to them who is walking on a tiled floor with hard soled shoes, by the direction of the sound waves coming at them. Because of this effect, the sound can be adjusted in real time when the player listening moves on the field. And because of the gyroscope and the compass in their iPhone, the effect can be adjusted as the player turns their head, providing a continuous perspective. Citation: ‘Sound of Football’ project allows blind to play football (w/ video) (2011, November 11) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2011-11-football-video.html This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.