Willian Jose Mourinho rounded on his critics and Steven Gerrard after Chelsea’s first home win of a season which has had a miserable opening.The Barclays Premier League champions began their Champions League Group G campaign with a 4-0 win over Maccabi Tel Aviv at Stamford Bridge, with goals from Willian, Oscar, Diego Costa – his first for Chelsea in the Champions League – and Cesc Fabregas.“I forgot the feeling. For so long we don’t win a game, so good, a good feeling,” Mourinho said.“I am a fantastic manager when I win matches and I am a fantastic manager when I lose matches.”Mourinho received the acclaim of the home faithful and, while he prefers it when they support the players and team, he welcomed the adulation.“I prefer that than they say ‘Mourinho out’ and they boo me and so on,” he said.“It shows they don’t read papers or they don’t have short memories. If they don’t read papers they support me. If they don’t have short memories, they support me.“We won four Premier Leagues, three with him and one with his team. This guy is not bad. Let’s support the guy. We have a chance to win the fifth.”Mourinho also dismissed former Liverpool captain Gerrard’s suggestion that there must have been a rift with skipper John Terry – one of six changes from the loss at Everton and an unused substitute against the Israeli side.“Steven is wrong,” the Blues boss said. “I have a very good relationship with him. Sometimes we contact by SMS (text message). But he’s wrong, because we have no problems.”Speaking during his work as a BT Sport pundit, the former Liverpool captain had said: “There’s certainly a bit of friction behind the scenes because for me, you play John Terry week in, week out, he’s your captain.“He’s such an important figure in the dressing room and if Chelsea want to be successful this season, they need him in there.“Chelsea were champions three months ago, they were the best team in the league, the PFA player of the year in Eden Hazard and Cesc Fabregas was on fire.“Something’s clearly happening behind the scene that we’re not clued up on. You can’t have that many problems in an 11 so quickly.”There was bad news for the Blues however, as Willian limped off the pitch during the first half and Mourinho confirmed he and Pedro – who was absent from the matchday squad – will miss the visit of Arsenal on Saturday. 1
getty 1 New Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce has vowed to stay longer with the Black Cats than he did with arch-rivals Newcastle as he begins his mission to drag the club out of trouble.The 60-year-old was sacked after just eight months at St James’ Park in January 2008 when then new owner Mike Ashley decided the man he had inherited from former chairman Freddy Shepherd was not the right one for the job.However, Allardyce, who also had brief spells as a player and then as a coach under Peter Reid on Wearside, is determined to hang around this time.He said: “Well, I want to be more successful than I have been in the past, that’s for sure, and I want to stay a bit longer!“I didn’t stay very long as a player, I didn’t stay very long with Reidy because I got the Notts County job and I didn’t stay very long at Newcastle, so I hope I stay a lot longer than that.”Allardyce rebuilt his career at Blackburn and then West Ham after his bruising experience on Tyneside, but he insists that the way he was treated by the Magpies, who will provide the opposition in his second game at the helm, no longer hurts.He said: “No, no. Newcastle is in the past, it’s all over. I’m a man for the future, not to dwell on the past. It happened.“Like I said at the time, I thought it was the right club at the wrong time for me and that was it. It was a decision made and you move forward.“Since then, I have done pretty well since I have moved on, and now I am back up in the north east to try to make Sunderland the best I possibly can.”Allardyce was coy when asked about the appointment of a number two, saying only that progress was being made, but refusing to name names. It is understood, though, it will not be Reid, with long-time associate Neil McDonald and Steve Round among those also being touted for the position. Allardyce’s stay at Newcastle was short-lived
Tottenham defender Federico Fazio is uncertain whether he will make his move to Sevilla permanent.The Argentina international returned to the Spanish club on loan on transfer deadline day after falling down the pecking order at White Hart Lane.The centre-back hopes the move to his former club will provide him with more action, but he is not sure whether it spells the end of his Tottenham career.“I come for six months. It has been already very difficult to get a [loan move] for this short time so let’s see what will happen next,” Fazio told Estadio Deportivo at his unveiling.“I hope to get the targets. I feel really good to give my best. I was calm during the transfer window because I lived a similar experience during the summer.“I knew that everything was going to resolved in the last days and fortunately it worked out so I am happy.” 1 Federico Fazio
1 Dame N’Doye warming up for Sunderland Sunderland striker Dame N’Doye is convinced he will not taste relegation for a second successive season.The 31-year-old Senegal international went down with former club Hull at the end of last season, but having seen what is in the dressing room at the Stadium of Light since his arrival on loan from Trabzonspor in January, is confident the Black Cats will not follow the Tigers into the Championship.Asked whether this team can stay up, N’Doye told the Journal: “Yes, I believe that because of the atmosphere in the dressing room. The lads are very concentrated and they have a strong mind that they will stay up – and that is very important.“Team spirit was strong at Hull also because everybody was working hard and they did not believe they were going down. Maybe we failed in some games and that is why we went down, but God decides that and when he decides, you cannot change it.“Every year, you work hard to stay in the Premier League. Nobody expects to go down, but three teams have to go.“I don’t want to be relegated two seasons in a row. I did not want to be relegated at Hull, but now I have to forget about that and concentrate on this new challenge and keeping Sunderland up.”Nineteenth-placed Sunderland head for West Ham on Saturday knowing a point could be enough to lift them out of the bottom three after victory over Manchester United last time out.
Mauro Icardi [right] in action for Inter Milan Arsenal and Chelsea have been put on red alert by the news Inter Milan will cash in on Mauro Icardi if they fail to qualify for the Champions League.Roberto Mancini’s side are currently sitting fifth in Serie A, two places outside qualification for next season’s competition.Inter have not been in the Champions League since 2011, causing them to miss out on the vast amounts of money involved.After sitting top at Christmas this season, it was hoped the club would return to Europe’s premier club competition.But a drop in form has seen them slide down the table and now, according to Corriere dello Sport, Inter are ready to sell Icardi if they do not book a spot.The striker’s departure would cause a significant boost to the club’s finances as he would command a fee of over £30m.Arsenal and Chelsea have a long-term interest in the Argentina international, while Manchester United are on the hunt for attacking reinforcements this summer. 1
DEVELOPMENT: Preliminary plans call for an 18-story tower at Harbor and Fifth. Residents express concerns. By Donna Littlejohn STAFF WRITER Despite a persistent real estate slump, developers want to build yet another condominium high-rise in San Pedro. “I’m worried it will overshadow the city hall,” said Sue Castillo, chairwoman of the planning and land use subcommittee for the Central San Pedro Neighborhood Council. “Building this huge, glitzy thing next to a historic building will be such a contrast in urban design that it would be jarring.” The new project would feature lots of glass, Cienfuegos said. The likelihood of blocked views for two other condominium towers behind the Grinder also is prompting some consternation. Castillo said efforts should be made to plan Harbor Boulevard as a whole. During waterfront redevelopment workshops, many residents said they didn’t want any buildings over five stories. About a block behind the site, Galaxy also is building the 16-story Vue condominium at Fifth and Palos Verdes streets. And another 18-story project, the Palos Verdes Urban Village, is proposed for property right behind the Grinder corner. “It is in front of the Vue, so there will be some views that will be impacted,” Cienfuegos said. But he added that the new development would be positioned to minimize any loss of views. Cienfuegos stressed that the new project, a rectangular building with 158 market-rate condominiums dubbed “G8” by the developer for now, is still in a very preliminary stage. The site is 33,400 square feet and sits just north of the Sunrise Motel at 525 S. Harbor Blvd. on the same block. Several residents said the Grinder also will be missed should it be demolished to make way for the development. Lorraine Ornelas, a volunteer at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum across the street, said she was “crushed” when she heard the restaurant, built in 1979, might be demolished. “That’s where my family and I have gone for Mother’s Day breakfasts for years,” she said. Plans for the condominiums are only conceptual, Cienfuegos said. “We’re still going through the entitlement process and planning approvals,” he said. “This is purely preliminary and conceptual at this time. We don’t have specific (plans).” He envisions the retail space on the corner including possibly a steakhouse at the street level. Cienfuegos showed a rendering of the G8 building Thursday night at a meeting of the residents panel overseeing downtown San Pedro redevelopment. It all came as a surprise to panel members and those in the audience who asked that the developer return with drawings showing neighboring buildings to give the community more of an overall perspective. “I need to see how it fits in with what’s already there,” said Diana Nave, a member of the Northwest San Pedro Neighborhood Council, who attended the meeting. “Nothing surprises me in terms of development in San Pedro anymore.” Several members of the Central San Pedro Neighborhood Council requested that they be given a full report by the developer when they meet in November. “I’m excited about all of these great projects but would like to see it come before the community,” said neighborhood council President Joe Gatlin. “We’re concerned about the height, the density,” he said. “We’re trying to build a San Pedro we’re all going to be proud of.” Galaxy was also interested earlier this year in buying an adjacent parcel being planned for the Palos Verdes Urban Village, which would be between the Vue and G8. For now, that remains in the hands of Omninet Capital of Beverly Hills, which is planning to move forward with the proposal for an 18-story, $110 million condominium development at 550 S. Palos Verdes St. Cienfuegos said he had no comment about whether Galaxy was still interested in purchasing that project site as well. “Galaxy has a commitment to San Pedro,” he said. “We see it as an exciting growth opportunity. We want to open that area up for more pedestrian use.” San Pedro, he said, “is an exciting place to live and work. We just want to provide housing.” firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityGalaxy Commercial Holding is in escrow for the corner property at Harbor Boulevard and Fifth Street, where the popular Grinder restaurant now sits. Galaxy developers this week unveiled their preliminary plans to build an 18-story, very narrow condominium tower with underground parking and retail on the ground floor. “We think San Pedro is a unique market,” said Steve Cienfuegos, vice president of construction for Galaxy Commercial Holding. “It’s got a lot of appeal because of the Ports O’ Call area and it’s on the water.” Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn has asked the developer to spend more time meeting with the community and neighborhood council about the project. “Galaxy is playing a big role in our downtown San Pedro revitalization and more market-rate housing is welcome,” she said. But Hahn said she also expects to see community input “reflected in the final project.” Concern already has been raised about how the contemporary structure would blend – or not – with the community’s historic, 10-story city hall built in the early 1900s and only a block away at Sixth Street and Harbor Boulevard.
By City News Service The body of a man who jumped from a pier in Long Beach and drowned as his family was scattering the ashes of his mother-in-law was recovered Saturday after several days of searching, officials said. The body of Melvin Monte Rabb, 27, of Long Beach, was recovered by divers with sonar gear, said Long Beach Fire Department spokesman Will Nash. Rabb jumped from the Belmont Veterans Memorial Pier on Tuesday afternoon as his family spread his mother-in-law’s ashes on what would have been her 31st wedding anniversary, according to the Long Beach Press-Telegram. A fisherman who tried to rescue Rabb after he jumped also drowned. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Rabb had said he would swim ashore and did not make it, Nash said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Tiny Virginia Makopo, 27, faces 13 charges of indecent assault, assault and criminal injury committed against at least six students ages 13 to 15 and a 23-year-old at the school. Makopo, who said she was innocent, was freed on bail Monday. Winfrey, who was a victim of child abuse herself, promised an overhaul of the school and said she had apologized to parents. JOHANNESBURG, South Africa – The former headmistress of Oprah Winfrey’s school for disadvantaged girls has denied being aware of allegations that a dormitory matron sexually assaulted and abused pupils. Winfrey announced Monday that Nomvuyo Mzamane’s contract would not be renewed, indicating that school officials had ignored complaints from the girls and tried to keep allegations of abuse from her. “Contrary to reports, I had no knowledge of abuse. I did not and would never participate in any such cover-up,” Mzamane said in a statement issued Thursday through her U.S.-based lawyer. Mzamane was suspended last month when allegations of abuse by one of the dormitory matrons surfaced. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThe market is located in a Shiite area and has been targeted before by Sunni extremists. But Smith said the attackers wanted people to believe that the bomb, packed with ball-bearings to maximize casualties, was the work of al-Qaida in Iraq so that residents would turn to Shiite militias for protection. He also said Shiite “special groups” were believed responsible for a series of rocket and mortar attacks against American bases in eastern Baghdad on Nov. 18. In addition to those attacks, an estimated 10 rockets or mortars fired from Shiite areas slammed into the Green Zone last Thursday in the biggest attack on the U.S.-protected area in weeks. U.S. officials said the barrage wounded an undisclosed number of people but caused no deaths. Baghdad was generally calm Saturday, with no major incidents reported by police. But the recent uptick in attacks raised questions whether anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, head of the Mahdi Army militia, would call off the six-month truce he ordered last August. U.S. officials have said the truce was generally holding and partly responsible for a 55 percent decline in attacks nationwide since June. BAGHDAD – Four members of an Iranian-backed Shiite cell confessed to bombing a public market in central Baghdad, a U.S. spokesman said Saturday. He also blamed Shiites for recent attacks on U.S. bases, raising fears that a three-month truce by the most feared Shiite militia may be at an end. The blast Friday in the al-Ghazl pet market killed at least 15 people, wounded 56 and shattered a growing sense of public confidence that has emerged following a sharp decline in the bombings and shootings that once rattled the Iraqi capital daily. During overnight raids, U.S. and Iraqi soldiers arrested four members of an unidentified Shiite “special groups cell,” who confessed to the bombing, U.S. spokesman Rear Adm. Gregory Smith told reporters. “Based on subsequent confessions, forensics and other intelligence, the bombing was the work of an Iranian-backed special groups cell operating here in Baghdad,” Smith said, adding that he was not accusing Iran itself of ordering the blast. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsA federal court issued an arrest warrant for Lam on Oct. 5, 2005, and he was arrested Nov. 17 on Indonesia’s Batam Island, according to Laura Eimiller of the FBI, then brought back to the United States. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. WEST COVINA – Arraignment is set today for a man accused of killing his wife, burying her body in a shallow grave in the backyard of their Rowland Heights home and then fleeing to Indonesia, where he was arrested. David Lam, 55, is charged with murder for the Sept. 11, 2005, slaying of his wife, Susan, 49. The woman’s family reported her missing and sheriff’s detectives found her body buried in a shallow grave in the backyard of the couple’s home in the 2600 block of Doubletree Lane on Sept. 23, 2005. Lam was named a week later in a felony complaint. The FBI was asked to help when sheriff’s detectives discovered Lam had fled to Singapore and then Indonesia. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!