GECOM caseNow that the Court of Appeal has granted an application to expedite the proceedings filed by the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) in relation to the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) chairmanship case, the Attorney representing the Party is hoping that a decision could be made before the Local or General Elections.Anil Nandlall told Guyana Times that the matter was of significant importance, and the issues which the case raises strike at the heart of constitutional democracy and are intricately connected to peace, order and good governance in the country.Attorney-at-Law Anil Nandlall“It is important that the appeal be heard and determined, if not for the Local Government Elections, certainly in time for the national and regional elections…The reason being is that these matters should be conclusively settled in the legal system before those elections are held,” he explained.According to Nandlall, either party may want to take the matter to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) depending on the Court of Appeal’s ruling. He asserted that the appeal at the CCJ would need to be concluded in sufficient time for the 2020 elections to be held with a new chairman if necessary.Nandlall pointed to the scenario in Barbados where a person was prevented from being registered by the Chief Election Officer in that country. He recalled that that case started in January and by May the entire case was finished, from the High Court to the Court of Appeal to the CCJ, in time for the recent elections in Barbados.The Court of Appeal on Friday, July 27 granted an application to expedite the proceedings filed by PPP Executive Secretary Zulfikar Mustapha, who appealed the High Court ruling that upheld President David Granger’s unilateral appointment of Retired Justice James Patterson as Chairman of GECOM.At the first hearing, Mustapha’s legal team, led by Nandlall, had applied for the matter to be expedited given the importance of the case. That application was granted by Acting Chancellor Justice Yonnette Cummings-Edwards, who agreed that the matter was one of “national importance”.However, this was not before the court heard arguments from both parties.Attorney General Basil Williams argued that the hearing of the appeal should be postponed to after the upcoming Local Government Elections (LGE), which were already set, and monies spent for preparations. However, Nandlall, a former Attorney General himself, dismissed those arguments, saying that the Local Government polls could always be rescheduled and pointing out that it was a concern.After hearing the arguments of the two sides, Justice Cummings-Edwards set October 4 as the soonest possible date for hearing the case. During this time, the parties will have to file their submissions with regard to the appeal case and the acting Chancellor urged them “to observe the timelines”.The acting Chancellor in her ruling on the ‘expedite request’ said that “…a hearing of the appeal should be conducted in a relatively short space of time …This is not to say we are not mindful of other matters that are before us, but such matters of national importance have been dealt with before”.Shortly after the hearing, Nandlall told reporters that he was pleased with the court’s decision, since the matter could have been fixed at a much later date. And Williams indicated to media operatives that he would be ready with his submissions, since they would be premised on the same arguments he proffered in court, stating that President Granger properly appointed the GECOM Chair and that acting Chief Justice Roxane George confirmed that appointment in her ruling last month.However, he was adamant that with November 12 already set as the date for the LGE this year, the appeal proceeding would not affect it. However, Nandlall contended that no monies were spent and that it would in no way affect the elections.After rejecting three lists of nominees submitted by Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo, President Granger went ahead and unilaterally appointed Justice Patterson as Chairman of GECOM. This decision had been, and continues to be, the centre of contention and debate, especially among civil society.In fact, it was as a result of this that the PPP Executive Secretary approached the High Court to challenge the appointment. But on June 8, 2018, acting Chief Justice George had ruled that the Constitution of Guyana allowed for the President to unilaterally appoint someone to fill the position of GECOM Chair. As such, Mustapha earlier this month filed legal proceedings to appeal the High Court decision.
A suspected raider who threatened to burn out all the witnesses to burglaries on a Buncrana housing estate has been released on bail.Out on bail – Jonathan Gibson.Jonathon Gibson will now live just a “stones throw” away from the houses he allegedly burgled last weekend. Gibson, who was charged with a number of offences at the Cloncool estate in Buncrana where he was living, will now reside at another estate nearby with his partner.Gibson appeared at Letterkenny District Court yesterday facing a total of sixteen charges including burglary, trespassing, criminal damage, theft and interfering with cars.Solicitor Kieran Dillon said he was looking for bail for his client but this was strongly objected to by Garda Inspector Michael Harrison.He said the accused had made two serious threats towards witnesses in the case while in the company of detectives when arrested last Saturday.Detective Garda Bernard Mullins told the court he was with Gibson in the waiting room of Letterkenny General Hospital on Saturday last.Detective Mullins said he made notes of the conversation and that Gibson threatened he would “burn out all the witnesses” when he got the book of evidence.While in the patrol car he also allegedly said that he would pipe-bomb “all the witnesses in Cloncool Park.”Gibson shouted that this was a lie and was asked to sit down in court.Solicitor Kieran Dillon said that was it not the case that his client was under the influence of drugs or drink and that it was a different man that was before the court today.“I would suggest that was a throwaway remark and was off the rictor scale,” said Mr Dillon.Detective Mullins said he accepted that Gibson appeared to be ‘coming down’ off of whatever he was on but could not say what his intentions wereThe court heard that Gibson had a range of previous offences including two of arson but none involving explosives.Judge Paul Kelly said he was granting bail on a number of conditions.These include that Gibson sign on daily at Buncrana Garda station, that he keep a curfew and not go out between 10pm and 8am, that he not enter Cloncool Park and that he stay away from any witnesses in the case.The case was adjourned until May 19th for directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions.MAN WHO THREATENED TO PIPE-BOMB WITNESSES IN BUNCRANA BURGLARIES CASE GIVEN BAIL was last modified: February 18th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranaburglarCloncool ParkDonegal courtJonathan GibsonJudge Paul Kelly
dabang delhiPatna PiratespklPKL 7 First Published: September 26, 2019, 9:43 PM IST Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. Jaipur: Dabang Delhi produced a stellar comeback to beat Patna Pirates 43-39 in a Pro Kabaddi League match at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium here on Thursday. Naveen Kumar and Vijay secured Super 10s for Delhi who moved back to the top of the points table after the victory.Patna will only have themselves to blame for the loss after having dominated the match for the most part. Pardeep Narwal once again impressed with a Super 10 (19 points) for the Pirates but a blunder in the defence by the three-time champions allowed Delhi’s Vijay to clinch 5 points in a raid and come back in the match. Considering the quality of raiders on both the sides of the mat, it wasn’t surprising to see both the defences take a cautious approach in the early minutes of the encounter.When they did try, they failed as Pardeep Narwal and Naveen Kumar made the match all about themselves.But Chandan Ranjit, Delhi’s secondary raider, picked up important points in the background, and the pressure finally told when in the 11th minute Vijay pulled off a stellar block on Patna’s Pardeep to sway the balance towards the Delhi side.Pardeep’s time away from the mat is usually the make-or-break factor for the Patna team but despite the star spending a large time away (8 minutes 25 seconds) from the action, the team kept pace with the Delhi side, with Hadi Oshtorak marshalling the defence.The first half ended with no All-Outs and points even at 13-13.The Delhi side started the second half with a Super Tackle on Pardeep but that was perhaps their only positive move in the next minutes as Patna unleashed the beast in them.Quick raids fetched them an All-Out in the fourth minute of the half after which Pardeep steamrolled through a hapless Delhi defence. The superstar picked another Super 10, and three-point Super Raid in the 8th minute of the second half, as Patna pushed for another All-Out.They got their second All-Out with six minutes remaining to move to a six-point lead. ‘Record breaker’ Pardeep also became the first raider to hit 1100 points in Pro Kabaddi League history with his efforts.But a raid by Delhi’s Vijay, with slightly more than 3 minutes left in the match, turned things around once again. He secured a bonus point and four touch points to cut down Patna’s lead to a single point.Delhi clinched the all-important All-Out with two minutes left in the match to open a lead which their defenders helped maintain.