Governor Mike Pence will join regional leaders in Southwest Indiana to ceremonially sign HEA 1001, allocating full state match funding at $42 million each for three Indiana regional development plans as part of the Indiana Regional Cities Initiative.Together, these plans in Northeast, North Central and Southwest Indiana outline 100 quality of place projects totaling more than $2 billion in combined public and private investment. More than half of these planned projects, including new riverfront developments, revitalized downtowns and expanded trail systems, are currently scheduled to be completed by the end of 2018. Details below.Tuesday, April 5:10:30 a.m. CDT – Governor Pence to ceremonially sign HEA 1001 in Evansville*Media are welcome to attend.Signature School’s Robert L. Koch II Science Center – 527 Main St., Evansville, IN FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
Many Georgia farmers rely on a product called methyl bromide to help them producehigh-quality crops. But soon they’ll have to use something else.And they’renot sure what will work as well.”The U.S. Clean Air Act mandated that methyl bromide beeliminated from use in the United States by the year 2001,” said Alex Csinos, a plantpathologist with the University of Georgia Coastal Plain Experiment Station.Farmers fumigate soil with methyl bromide gas. They inject it into soil covered withplastic to get rid of pests. Then they seed the field to tobacco or vegetable crops suchas squash, peppers, tomatoes and cabbage.Csinos said methyl bromide controls a broad range of insects, weeds, nematodes anddisease-causing organisms at fairly low cost.But the Environmental Protection Agency found a problem. As methyl bromide moves fromtreated soil into the atmosphere, it breaks down ozone molecules that help protect us fromthe sun’s ultraviolet rays. So farmers have to find other products.Csinos, other UGA researchers and U.S. Department of Agriculture scientists have workedtogether for about four years to find a replacement.”At this point, the results look very good,” he said. “We have found some materialsthat are already approved by EPA for soil injection. And their activity is almost equal toor, in some cases, even better than methyl bromide.”A bonus for farmers is that the other products cost less, too, when used in effectivecombinations. Farmers can apply them, Csinos said, at half to two-thirds the cost ofmethyl bromide.One way methyl bromide is better, though, is time. It works quickly and escapes fastonce the farmer removes the plastic. The alternatives may take longer. And that canrequire more management and planning.”But farmers can apply it themselves instead of hiringcustom applicators,” Csinos said. “And these alternative chemicals and combinations have been shown tohave no effect on the ozone layer.”Georgians can benefit from the new chemicals in a number of ways.They’ll beable to get fresh vegetables without worrying about whether farmers have damaged theirenvironment to grow them.And they’llkeep on getting the high-quality, disease-free produce they’re used to.Georgia farmers will reduce the harmful chemicals they have to use. And they’ll payless to do it.”Our trials on chemicals to replace methyl bromide havebeen quite successful,” said Csinos. “We don’t have a choice about changing. And we’re working to change to asafe chemical that’s as effective and less expensive.
She said Jokowi believed the judges would pay close attention to the criminal articles under which the defendants have been charged, as well as the evidence gathered during the investigation.She said Jokowi had previously called for a speedy completion of the investigation and for members of the National Police to be scrutinized.“With the trial ongoing, we need to understand that the President, as the leader of the executive branch, cannot intervene in the authority of the judiciary,” Dini said as quoted by Kontan.Members of the public have expressed disappointment and bewilderment at the light sentence demanded for the accused attackers. The KPK has called for the two police officers implicated in the case to receive maximum sentences.House of Representatives Commission III overseeing legal affairs has said it would question Attorney General ST Burhanuddin regarding the demanded sentence.Novel’s advocacy team previously made three demands pertaining to the trial. First, that the judges focus on the facts of the attack against Novel; second, that President Jokowi form an independent fact-finding team; and third, that the Prosecutors’ Commission follow up the findings by examining the prosecutors in Novel’s case. (asp) President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has stated he will not intervene in the legal proceedings regarding the acid attack against Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigator Novel Baswedan, with a presidential aide saying the country’s leader hoped the judges would hand down a fair verdict in the case.State prosecutors had previously demanded a one-year prison sentence for the defendants, police personnel Chief Brig. Ronny Bugis and Brig. Rahmat Kadir Mahulette, who are currently undergoing trials in separate hearings at the North Jakarta District Court.“The President respects the ongoing legal proceedings, in which he has faith and hopes the panel of judges will hand down a verdict that is fair,” presidential spokesperson for legal affairs Dini Purwono said Thursday. Topics :
Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Eagles have shown a lot of resilience and game management so far at the 2019 AFCON, with many late goals to win games. They have also won four matches by a one-goal margin.In their first two matches against Burundi and Guinea, they won games 1-0 by scoring after the seventieth minute.Against Cameroon in the Round of 16, they came back with two quick-fire goals after going into the break behind.And yesterday against the South Africans, they left it till the 89th minute despite the pressure of losing a lead. VAR DramaExperiencing VAR at the stadium is a totally different experience from watching on TV.The screens at the stadium don’t show replays so there’s so much tension and uncertainty.First there was despair among the Nigerian fans when South Africa scored, then joy when the referee’s assistant’s flag went off.Then there was confusion as many of the fans were unaware that VAR comes into effect at the quarter final stage.Then it was back to despair as the referee signaled for a goal after what seemed like years of waiting.Eagles’ First Nght GameThe heat in Egypt has been wearing with the daytime temperature in Cairo at 38 degrees Celsius yesterday.Meanwhile, the Eagles have played all of their matches in Alexandria, which is slightly cooler but still well in the 30s.Luckily, the Eagles’ first experience of playing in Cairo was at night. And it will be the same in the Semi Final against either Algeria or Ivory Coast.Set Piece KingsThe Eagles have scored three of their seven goals from set plays, a notable statistic considering this has never been the forte of the Super Eagles and African teams in general.However, William Troost Ekong scored the winner off a corner kick yesterday, replicating his centre back partner Kenneth Omeruo’s winner against Guinea.Nigeria’s first goal against Cameroon was the result of a free kick.Set plays are an indication of a team spending time practicing in training and is a good sign as the Eagles advance into the semi finals. Another Late Goal Wins It
Surprise ISSA-Flow Manning Cup schoolboy semi-finalists Denham Town and Jonathan Grant High emphatically stamped their class, ousting, between them, four former champions from groups I and K, respectively, en route to the grand semi-final stage. The fallen former champions are Calabar, Charlie Smith and Excelsior in Group K, along with Camperdown from Group I. Coach Omar Edwards was proud of his history-making Denham Town team, despite being lashed 4-1 by Camperdown at the Constant Spring field yesterday. Camperdown’s scorers were Kevin Clarke, who led with a 26th- and 64th-minute brace, while Aruna Anderson struck in the 49th and Tajae Brown rounded out the scoring in stoppage time (90+2). Daquan Black scored the consolation for Denham Town, who might have some injury concerns ahead of the semi-finals, with defender Arthur Walters stretchered off with a head injury. The result was one of academic interest as the west Kingston-based school had already qualified on six points, courtesy of a 1-0 win over Innswood High and Hydel’s lost three points for fielding an ineligible player against them. Hydel had won 3-0 but ISSA reversed the decision, handing the points to Denham Town. “We have advanced to the semi-finals, the first time in the history of the school. This is my first year with them. The players don’t fully buy into the concept as yet, but we have time on our hands,” he told The Gleaner. “We have to get the players sharp and focused for the semi-finals because that is really the big one. We did not even start this game with our best 11, but gave others starts to see what they would look like in the semi-finals,” Edwards added. In the later game at Constant Spring, Charlie Smith trounced Excelsior 4-0. Ronaldo McDonald scored in the 29th and 87th minutes, while Kemar Jones netted in the 35th, with Zamario Sinclair scoring in minute 59. Meanwhile, at Prison Oval, Jonathan Grant held on for a 2-2 draw with Calabar High to book their passage to the last four in yesterday’s 1 p.m. curtain-raiser. Hydel clipped Innswood 4-3 in the later game at the same venue. Click link for more Schoolboy Football photos.http://jamaica-gleaner.com/myreport/schoolboy#mid=&offset=&page=&s=
An elderly voter narrowly escaped arrest after she was involved in an altercation with election day workers at a polling division in the St Andrew, south-eastern constituency. According to election day workers at a polling station housed at the Jaycee’s headquarters on Altamont Crescent in New Kingston, the woman cast her vote and proceeded to tear-off the counter seal on the ballot; a job, which should have been done exclusively by election day workers. As a consequence, the woman was informed her vote had been voided. She asked if she could take the ballot from the polling station home, however, this was refused. This was when the altercation started and the police were called. As a result, the woman, who wishes to be anonymous was unable to vote. The Jaycee’s polling station on Altamont Crescent was among the least visited by voters within that constituency.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The massive Grand Avenue project moved a step closer on Tuesday when a Los Angeles city panel rejected an effort to block the development and ordered it to head on to the full City Council for a vote. With only limited public comment, the City Council’s Planning and Land Use Management Committee urged approval of the multi-billion dollar project, which will include a 16-acre civic park surrounded by five separate projects totaling more than 3.5 million square feet of mixed use development. Aides to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Councilwoman Jan Perry, in whose district the project is located, urged rejection of the legal challenge to the measure, saying the project is vital to the continued renewal of downtown Los Angeles. Ron Naben, who serves on Villaraigosa’s business team urged the committee to adopt the plans. “The mayor strongly supports this and believes it will be one of the signature projects of the 21st century,” Naben said. “This has been extensively negotiated and is of huge public interest. It is a prime example of a public-private partnership.” The Bonaventure Hotel had challenged the agreement that includes reversion of hotel bed taxes to help developers offset the cost of construction of a luxury hotel on the site, saying it amounted to unfair competition.