Dalung ditches GiwaOlawale Ajimotokan in AbujaThe Extra Ordinary General Assembly (EOGA) of Nigeria football that sat in Abuja wednesday activated Article 37 (1) of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Statutes by mooting suspension for Ambassador Chris Giwa, and five others for bringing Nigeria football and the country to disrepute in clear contravention of NFF statutes and other extant football laws.This decision was contained in a communiqué issued after the meeting and signed by E.C Chukwuemeka.The other accused persons are Yahaya Adama, Muazu Suleyman, Sani Fema and Effiong Johnson. They are to appear before the congress to defend themselves.Rumson Baribote, Shehu Adamu, Ben Agary and Olajide Fashikun were found guilty by the General Assembly of aiding and abetting the gross misconduct and are to appear and defend themselves before the NFF Committee on Ethics and Fair-play. Giwa, the founder of Giwa Football Club of Jos, and others were accused of committing infractions such as illegally contracting a law firm based in South Africa in the name of the NFF and refusing to pay for the services up to a point where judgment was given against the NFF by the South Africa court.The congress determined that their action negates NFF statutes, regulations, directives and decisions of FIFA, Confederation of African Football (CAF) and the West African Football Union (WAFU).The sanctions on Giwa was the tipping point of the NFF power struggle, that climaxed with last week’s order granted by a Jos High Court, annulling the election of Giwa’s main rival, Amaju Pinnick as the validly elected president of NFF.Giwa had on Tuesday insisted that he was the winner of the disputed election of August 29, 2014 and had sensationally sacked the 36 state FA chairmen and threatened to take over the NFF Glass House yesterday.However, it turned out to be an empty threat as he did not turn up at the heavily fortified football secretariat.But the biggest surprise at yesterday’s event was the most unexpected recognition accorded the General Assembly, and by extension Pinnick, by Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung.Dalung denied receiving any court order from a Jos High Court in relation to the NFF unrest.The minister, who had a brush with journalists when the latter protested against Dalung’s verbal accusation of corruption against the reporters, claimed that the only court orders concerning the NFF election were issued in 2014.“As the minister of sports and a lawyer, till date, I have not received any court orders this year. The only orders served on me, were all dated 2014. I have not seen any order dated 2016,’’ Dalung insisted.The minister noted that though association football law forbade litigations, Giwa’s decision to pursue his grievances in line with Section 41 of Nigerian law, if not regulated, would open the floodgates of confusion arising from decision of aggrieved parties to approach ordinary courts to resolve football disputes.He scorned Giwa for being in a haste to execute a ‘court order’ without giving the other party the 30-day window permitted to appeal under the Nigerian law.“You can’t go to court, get judgment and upon that judgment want to deny the other party the right to appeal. Anybody that is panicky is not a sincere person. If you have subscribed to be a member of the international football family, you have to bind by their rule on football. If you are not interested, then you go out,” Dalung said.He said that the NFF crisis has effectively discouraged corporate bodies from sponsoring football in the country as no company wanted to invest in a business that thrives in confusion.Dalung also appealed to Pinnick to narrow the gap with the opposition by bringing them to a table in the interest of Nigeria football.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Criminal charges against APNU/AFC ministers…says “intervention was unlawful”By Michael YoungeThe Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Shalimar Ali-Hack will soon have to defend her office’s decision to intervene in a matter which saw the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) filing private criminal charges against several Government Ministers, who were implicated in a number of massive corruption scandals.This was revealed by former Attorney General and current attorney-at-law for the PPP/C, Anil Nandlall who on Friday confirmed that papers and actions officially challenging the DPP’s intervention have been filed within the Courts.He said the DPP’s office’s intervention was completely unnecessary and unlawful.“We believe that the DPP’s office acted in error and acted unlawfully. Also, we are prepared to go all the way to the Caribbean Court of Justice on this matter,” Nandlall told Guyana Times.He said it is no longer that a number of legal suits and actions brought against the Government of Guyana epitomize the ongoing political struggle.“…Politics has contaminated all of the areas of the State and we have to ensure that the rule of law prevails and is upheld,” he insisted.The DPP back in August had for the second time in one-week, discontinued charges of “Misconduct in Public Office, contrary to the Common Law” initiated by Opposition Members of Parliament (MPs) against Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson; Finance Minister Winston Jordan; and Public Service Minister, Dr Rupert Roopnaraine.In the first charge, the court heard that Jordan and Patterson were being accused of “paying to Private Limited Liability company, Homestretch Development Inc (HDI), the sum of $906 million, being public funds, without any resort to the procurement process as is required by law.”The additional charge against Roopnaraine alleges that “while being a Minister, [he] acted as Director of the Private Limited Liability Company, Homestretch Development Inc (HDI) and accepted $906 million of public funds without any resort to the procurement process which is prescribed by law.”However, DPP Ali-Hack said “the private criminal charges for the offence of Misconduct in Public Office, contrary to the Common Law instituted against Ministers Winston Jordan and David Patterson and Rupert Roopnaraine were discontinued by the Director of Public Prosecutions under Article 187 (1) ( c) of the Constitution of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana.”She maintained that “these charges concern a grave issue under the criminal law in relation to two serving Ministers. [As such,] in the interest of good governance in the State of Guyana such allegations ought first to have been reported to the Guyana Police Force for an investigation to be launched and the advice of the DPP sought.”The $1 billion D’Urban Park project has been shrouded in secrecy and considered to be a highly corrupt deal since its inception.Following calls from the parliamentary Opposition, the Office of the Auditor General of Guyana launched a special audit into the shady project. Charges were also brought against other Ministers in relation to the Sussex Street Drug Bond, which is also shrouded in secrecy.However, when a case was filed in this regard, the DPP also discontinued them on the same grounds as these recent charges.On April 19, 2018, the Opposition filed a case against Social Cohesion Minister, Dr George Norton – who was former Public Health Minister – and Public Health Minister Volda Lawrence. These charges were in relation to rental of a house in Sussex Street, Albouystown, Georgetown, in the sum of $12 million to store drugs and the sole sourcing of drugs and pharmaceuticals from private company, ANSA McAL Trading Limited in the sum of $605 million.