to go further Help by sharing this information March 29, 2020 Find out more Coronavirus infects press freedom in Africa RSF_en Receive email alerts Organisation Reporters Without Borders welcomes the news that Abuzar Ali Al-Amin, the deputy editor of the now closed daily Rai Al-Shaab, was finally released on bail on 22 August, but deplores the failure to dismiss the new charges that were brought against him in June.Amin is still facing a possible death sentence on charges in connection with articles he wrote and with a security official’s claim that he was attacked by Amin at the time of his arrest in May 2010, when Amin was tortured.The news of Amin’s release, which Reporters Without Borders has been demanding for months, was overshadowed by the confiscation by all the copies of the Arabic-language daily Al-Jarida from 20 to 22 August, the harassment of its staff and the possibility that the ruling National Congress Party will reinstate prior censorship.“We are relieved to learn that Amin is finally out of prison but we call for all the charges against him to be dropped,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Meanwhile, the authorities must stop harassing journalists and confiscating newspapers, the security forces’ preferred method for preventing the publication of embarrassing articles and for tightening the financial vice on the media. The announcement that prior censorship could be officially reintroduced is a particularly ominous development.”The security forces prevented Al-Jarida from appearing for three days in a row by seizing all the copies from the printer’s without giving any explanation. Editor Saadeldin Ibrahim, who was fined twice last month, and managing editor Hashim Hussain were summoned for interrogation last week by security officials, who threatened to close the newspaper if it did not change its tune.The newspaper is accused of being too close to the staff of Ajras Al-Hurriya, a newspaper that was closed down on 8 July, and of employing its former journalists.Reporters Without Borders also deplores secretary of state for information Sanaa Hamad al-Awad’s announcement that the ruling NCP is considering the reintroduction of prior censorship. Lifted and reimposed several times in the past, it would allow the security forces to tighten their control of the news and dictate editorial policies to the media.Photo : Ashraz Shazly / AFP News Covid-19 in Africa: RSF joins a coalition of civil society organizations to demand the release of imprisoned journalists on the continent April 10, 2020 Find out more News Sudan : Press freedom still in transition a year after Omar al-Bashir’s removal Follow the news on Sudan News April 6, 2020 Find out more News August 24, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist freed on bail but daily prevented from publishing for three days and return of prior censorship mooted SudanAfrica SudanAfrica
Sanders was quick to claim victory, saying his “multi-generational, multi-racial coalition” that won Nevada was “going to sweep this country.”His progressive policies, including universal health care, higher taxes on the wealthy and corporations, and raising the minimum wage have struck a chord with millions of Americans.”The American people are sick and tired of a government which is based on greed, corruption, and lies. They want an administration which is based on the principles of justice,” he told a raucous rally, which responded with chants of “Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!”Sanders was speaking in El Paso, Texas, one of the 14 states that votes on “Super Tuesday” on March 3. Buttigieg congratulated Sanders on his Nevada victory. But the moderate, 38-year-old military veteran offered a stern warning against picking a self-described democratic socialist who sees “capitalism as the root of all evil” to go up against the populist Trump.”Senator Sanders believes in an inflexible, ideological revolution that leaves out most Democrats, not to mention most Americans,” Buttigieg said.With Sanders coming in virtually tied for first in Iowa and then winning New Hampshire last week, he is in the driver’s seat as the race turns toward South Carolina and then Super Tuesday.”Looks like Crazy Bernie is doing well in the Great State of Nevada,” Trump tweeted, maligning other candidates before adding: “Congratulations Bernie, & don’t let them take it away from you!”With the race soon taking on a national dynamic, several candidates like Klobuchar, Warren or congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard will be under pressure to decide whether they fight on or throw in the towel.’Coming back’ The centrist Biden, desperate to right a listing ship after miserable showings in the first two states, told supporters he feels “really good” about his Nevada finish and shouldn’t be counted out.”We’re alive and we’re coming back,” the onetime frontrunner insisted. “We’re going on to South Carolina to win and then we’re going to take this back!”South Carolina has a majority black Democratic electorate, and Biden leads polling there, riding his popularity among African Americans due in part to his eight years as popular president Barack Obama’s deputy.”Joe to me is like a thoroughbred — a horse that’s gonna come in and that’s gonna overtake whoever is the favorite,” Air Force retiree Wilbert Wilcox told AFP.”He has the stamina going for him… I’m looking for him to really surprise some people.” Sanders leads national polls with an average of 28 percent support.That is 11 points ahead of Biden and 13 points clear of billionaire media tycoon Michael Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York who skipped campaigning in the four early states, including Nevada, in order to focus on Super Tuesday.Sanders has been largely unchecked by opponents who have focused more on blunting the advance of Bloomberg, who has poured hundreds of millions of dollars of his personal fortune into campaign advertising.Warren, speaking late Saturday at a large rally in Washington state which votes on March 10, pledged to stay in the fight despite a third straight mediocre showing.She repeated her attacks on Bloomberg, accusing him of seeking to “buy this election.”In Nevada, caucuses were held in several of Las Vegas’s world-famous casinos and hotels, as well as dusty desert towns.Keen to avoid the drawn-out embarrassment of the Iowa caucus, which relied on flawed technology to relay results, Nevada officials pivoted to a low-tech system that involved phoning in results to hotlines and backing them up with photographs of the tabulations.The process was considerably slower than four years ago, but appeared to be relatively smooth.Topics : Progressive firebrand Bernie Sanders earned a decisive victory Saturday in the Nevada caucuses, solidifying his frontrunner status in the race to choose the Democratic nominee who faces President Donald Trump in November’s election.His win is a substantial accomplishment in a state seen as an important bellwether because it is the first diverse electorate to weigh in on the 2020 presidential race.It also shows that Sanders has been able to broaden a coalition beyond the narrow limits of leftist voters, refuting the argument used by several moderates in the race that he would not be able to bridge the divide between progressives and centrists. By late Saturday Sanders was comfortably ahead with half of all precincts reporting.The 78-year-old senator from Vermont was leading with about 46 percent, followed by former vice president Joe Biden at 19 percent.South Bend, Indiana’s former mayor Pete Buttigieg, who scored a shock narrow win in Iowa to start the race nearly three weeks ago, stood in third at 15 percent.The two female US senators in the running, progressive Elizabeth Warren and pragmatist Amy Klobuchar, were on 10 and four percent respectively.
Big-race jockey Wayne Lordan believes Gordon Lord Byron is the “one to beat” in Saturday’s Betfred Sprint Cup at Haydock. Tom Hogan’s pride and joy was a decisive winner of the Merseyside Group One in 2013 and was runner-up behind G Force in last year’s renewal and Society Rock in 2012. The seven-year-old has had mixed results so far this season, winning a Listed race at the Curragh and finishing a fantastic third in the Prix Maurice de Gheest at Deauville on his penultimate start, but he was a slightly disappointing third on his most recent appearance in the Renaissance Stakes. Limato’s defection means Candy relies on the unbeaten Twilight Son, who takes a significant step up in class in the hands of Fergus Sweeney. Sweeney said: “My horse is obviously stepping up in class significantly, but he did it really well last time at York and Mr Candy knows his sprinters. He wouldn’t be in there if he didn’t think he could hold his own “He’s a horse that is very workmanlike, even at home. He’s never magnificent in his work and just does what he has to do, so you never quite know what you’ve got in the tank. “He’s definitely better with a bit of cut in the ground.” Gordon Lord Byron is joined on the trip from Ireland by the Aidan O’Brien-trained Due Diligence and Eddie Lynam’s multiple Group One winner Sole Power, who will be ridden by Chris Hayes. Last year’s winner G Force is one of two runners for David O’Meara, with the Nawton maestro also saddling Watchable, while Tim Easterby’s Mattmu is another formidable Yorkshire challenger. Other major contenders include Mick Appleby’s Danzeno, the William Haggas-trained Adaay, John Gosden’s hat-trick seeker Waady and Stewards’ Cup hero Magical Memory from Charlie Hills’ yard. Lordan feels the stronger pace Gordon Lord Byron is likely to encounter at the weekend will bring out the best in his mount. “He’s a fantastic horse and every day he goes racing he gives us everything. I’m really looking forward to riding him again,” the jockey told At The Races. “He likes the track so hopefully he can give a good account of himself. “When he won the race it was pretty soft and it was soft last year. They’re calling the ground good and I wouldn’t think that’s an issue for him either. “My fellow is a good yardstick, so hopefully he is the one to beat.” Reflecting on his last run, Lordan said: ” We didn’t go too mad and quickened up from three (furlongs) out. He needs a very good, strong pace – that’s why he runs well in the top-class races. “He finished third, Moviesta won the race and he’s not a bad horse on his day.” Gordon Lord Byron features in a maximum field of 17 runners, with the Henry Candy-trained Limato a significant absentee on account of the ground. The only other horse not declared is outsider Markaz. Press Association
Okon Bassey in UyoThe national colours will be prominent at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State as the State Government had procured 20, 000 jerseys for distribution to football fans as part of support for the Super Eagles in this weekend’s World Cup qualifier.Chairman of the Publicity sub -committee of the LOC, Mr Nse Edem who briefed newsmen in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State capital yesterday said the committee chaired by Secretary to Akwa Ibom State Government, Mr Etekamba Umoren also include a medical, security, accommodation and marketing and would be coordinated by veteran sports journalist, Paul Bassey.According to him, the LOC has put in place measures to ensure that lapses observed in the last AFCON qualifier against Tanzania also played in Uyo do not reoccur. His words, “As far as we are concerned there will be no excuses for failure because we have learnt our lessons from the last AFCON qualifier played in Uyo and we have put every arrangement in place to ensure they don’t reoccur again,” he remarked.Edem who is also the Permanent Secretary in the State Ministry of Youths and Sports said sales of ticket commences today (Wednesday) at designated places in the state and would also be made available to fans in other parts of the country.He assured that 200 stewards have been mobilised to ensure the safety of fans while the supporters clubs of local teams in the state would also be mobilised to compliment the Nigeria Football Supporters Club to cheer the Super Eagles to victory.“As far as Akwa Ibom state is concerned there will be no margin for errors for this weekend’s qualifier and we are confident that Uyo will host all the Super Eagles home matches for the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers”, he added.Meanwhile, the State Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel has review the 10 years maintenance contract of the Stadium with Julius.Immediate past administration of the state under Godswill Akpabio had signed the 10 years contract with Julius Berger for the maintenance of facilities in the ultra-modern stadium.Former Commissioner for Special Duties in the state, Mr. Etido Inyang who disclosed this explained that it became expedient for Governor to review the 10 year maintenance contract with the foremost construction company in view of the prevailing economic down turn.Inyang, who was in charge of Technical Matters when the stadium was built, said government is currently re-negotiating the contract terms for “the engagement to be year by year”, blaming the dwindling resources accruing to the State for the government action.He stressed that due to paucity of fund the maintenance of the stadium turf and other vital areas like the tartan tracks would be handled by Jthe company, while the general cleaning of the stadium has been contracted out to the locals.Inyang stated that the stadium has been put to its best look with lighting and other facilities properly fixed for the Saturday’s game with Algeria and enjoined fans to go out en-masse to support the Super Eagles to victory.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram