Samara Heisz/iStockBy MORGAN WINSOR, ERIN SCHUMAKER, EMILY SHAPIRO and IVAN PEREIRA, ABC News(NEW YORK) — A pandemic of the novel coronavirus has now infected more than 101.4 million people worldwide and killed over 2.1 million of them, according to real-time data compiled by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University.Here’s how the news is developing Friday. All times Eastern:Jan 29, 7:24 amRussia says it can supply Europe with 100 million doses of its vaccineRussia said Friday it will be ready to supply Europe with enough doses of its COVID-19 vaccine, Sputnik V, for 50 million people in the second quarter of this year.The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), which is responsible for worldwide marketing of the vaccine, announced via Twitter that 100 million doses can be provided to the European Union — pending regulatory approval — once most of Russia’s population has been vaccinated.After being developed by the state-run Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology in Moscow, Sputnik V was controversially registered by the health ministry in August before starting crucial Phase 3 trials, with Russia declaring itself the first in the world to register a COVID-19 vaccine.The RDIF said the vaccine is now registered in 15 countries and that documents have been submitted to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for “rolling review,” which would mean that the drug regulator is reviewing clinical trial data on a rolling basis. However, last week, the EMA said in a statement that “currently Sputnik V is not undergoing a rolling review.”Jan 29, 6:25 amMexico overtakes India for third-highest COVID-19 death tollMexico now has the third-highest death toll from COVID-19 in the world.According to real-time data compiled by Johns Hopkins University, Mexico has registered 155,145 fatalities from the disease since the pandemic began, overtaking India’s count of 154,010 deaths.Mexico, a country of 127 million people, has confirmed more than 1.8 million cases of COVID-19. Whereas India, home to some 1.3 billion, has confirmed over 10.7 million cases, the second-most in the world, according to Johns Hopkins data.Jan 29, 3:49 amUS reports over 164,000 new casesThere were 164,665 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in the United States on Thursday, according to a real-time count kept by Johns Hopkins University.Thursday’s case count is far less than the country’s all-time high of 300,282 newly confirmed infections on Jan. 2, Johns Hopkins data shows.An additional 3,872 fatalities from COVID-19 were registered nationwide on Thursday, down from a peak of 4,466 new deaths on Jan. 12, according to Johns Hopkins data.COVID-19 data may be skewed due to possible lags in reporting over the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday weekend.A total of 25,766,735 people in the U.S. have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since the pandemic began, and at least 433,195 have died, according to Johns Hopkins data. The cases include people from all 50 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., and other U.S. territories as well as repatriated citizens.Much of the country was under lockdown by the end of March as the first wave of the pandemic hit. By May 20, all U.S. states had begun lifting stay-at-home orders and other restrictions put in place to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. The day-to-day increase in the country’s cases then hovered around 20,000 for a couple of weeks before shooting back up over the summer.The numbers lingered around 40,000 to 50,000 from mid-August through early October before surging again to record levels, crossing 100,000 for the first time on Nov. 4, then reaching 200,000 on Nov. 27 before topping 300,000 on Jan. 2.So far, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has authorized two COVID-19 vaccines for emergency use — one developed by U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech, and another developed by American biotechnology company Moderna and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. More than 24 million vaccine doses have been administered nationwide, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
U.S. military doctors, working with local health officials, restored the sight of 200 Hondurans during a week-long ophthalmology medical readiness training exercise in Choluteca at Hospital del Sur. The U.S. Southern Command Medical Readiness Training Exercise program is a U.S. military engagement and training effort in the region, giving U.S. military health care personnel the opportunity to have a positive impact on thousands of people while receiving invaluable deployment training. During this exercise, Joint Task Force-Bravo’s Medical Element personnel provided surgeries to selected Honduran patients who suffered from cataracts and strabismus, a disorder in which the two eyes do not line up in the same direction. “This is our tenth year for this mission in Choluteca.” Lt. Col. (Dr.) Darrel Carlton, head surgeon said during a press conference in Choluteca Feb. 2. “We do about 200 per year… so around 2,000 people have been affected directly by this mission.” Colonel Carlton went on to explain how the patients are chosen and what conditions are treated. “So far on this year’s mission, we have screened 500 patients and we’re doing 30 surgeries per day. Cataracts are a common cause of blindness and the primary condition treated. Essentially, we’re taking a person who’s blind and enabling them to see and we’re doing 20 to 25 of those cases every day.” “We are also doing strabismus surgeries. This is a condition in which the patient’s eyes are turned in the wrong direction. Because for this surgery patients have to undergo general anesthesia, we can only do four to five of these cases per day,” said Colonel Carlton. Col. Gregory Reilly, JTF-B commander thanked the people of Choluteca for their support and their friendship. “Joint Task Force-Bravo has been (in Honduras) for nearly 30 years and our relationship with Honduran people is very close,” he said. “We will do everything we can to continue this mission here in Choluteca.” Hernan Vindel, hospital administrator, concluded the press conference expressing his thanks. “JTF-B, thank you. Thanks to the government of the U.S. for the invaluable support,” he said. “Our doors are open; we’ll be here and we’ll be expecting you. Your work is really important to us, we thank you and may God bless you.” By Dialogo February 15, 2011
Authorities in West Palm Beach are currently searching for an 11-year-old boy who reportedly ran away from home.Donte Cruz was last seen at his home on Caribbean BoulevardHe is described as 5-foot-3 and 130 lbs.Authorities are asking the public to call 911 if they see him.